Wednesday, September 30, 2009

And the show must go on

So I made a call to Em's pediatrician the other day because my supply just seemed to tank.
The physician's assistant asked me if I was drinking 96 oz of water a day. Wuh!? Squeeze me? 96 oz are you KIDDING me!?
I'm a mom, not a goldfish, was my 1st thought, and my mouth literally dropped and I swore it hit the tile on my countertop! My reply was "Well, I have a water bottle that I fill and sip from..." in short, no, I am not drinking 96 oz!

I was told to drink 96 oz in 24 hrs and then I will see a boost. She told me I was under hydrated and not eating enough (she came to that conclusion when I told her that I ate a granola bar the other day for my breakfast/lunch!) I thought she was gonna reach out the phone and strangle me. LOL She said " A granola bar is a snack, not a meal" lol

So anyhow I did manage to drink over 64 oz, and I am sipping the remainder of the 96 oz right now, and yes, she is right, I did see a jump in my supply.
This is without taking fenugreek or any other supplements. I also did make some lactation cookies (link is on the side bar :) ) but those are just to snack on, I dont think they do much for my supply.

Since upping my water, Emmaleigh has cried WAYYY less, she's also been pooping more and sleeping more. She is happy to have a full tum tum again!

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad things are going well... and I know you know this, but I would totally contact LLL about BF'ing issues before my pedi. Most pediatricians, even the "crunchy" ones are really not very knowledgeable about breastfeeding.

    In fact, LLL states that you should drink to thirst-- not that you need to have any certain amount of h2o per day. Just putting that out there-- don't want you to make it harder on yourself than it needs to be. Good luck, mama! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! My pediatrician actually specializes in breastfeeding, so I feel comfy calling them. Otherwise I would've contacted an LC for sure. They don't want me to drink the 96 oz daily, but felt that I needed to give myself a boost since I don't drink much period.
    You should drink at least 32 oz a day minimum, but max is around 64 oz I believe.
    Now when my supply feels like its tanking, I up my water and then its back!

    ReplyDelete