Sunday, August 16, 2009

I ended up in Urgent Care

First, let me say that I posted this the other day and for some reason it didn't post, so here I am again.
I've been having shortness of breath, chest tightening, headaches, and its been hard for me to catch my breath. I finally decided to go to the urgent care to check for clots, because my legs also are really swollen from the c-section.
We were there for like...4 hours. It was terrible!! I did an EKG, chest x-ray, blood work, and a CT Scan. I was hesitant to do the CT scan because it was with contrast. I had my husband look up CT Scan and breastfeeding while I was back there waiting, because they told me that I wouldn't be able to nurse for 2 days.
I at first declined the test. When they told me I would have to pump and dump for 2 days, I began crying. I said there is no way I would do that. I can't pump very well. Not only that, I just knew that would be it. Once she got a bottle, she wouldn't want mommy anymore! We've worked so hard to get to where we are (had a horrible time latching in the beginning and I was in SO much pain!)

The urgent care doc was really nice. She said she fully understood that nursing was important and that she wouldn't make me do the test. She took the time to Google an article by Dr. Jack Newman who basically specializes in breastfeeding. The article stated that so long as no radioactive dyes were used, I wouldn't have to stop nursing the baby.
I also whipped out my BlackBerry and went to KellyMom.com and read an article on the use of radioisotopes during nursing, and even they stated that its OK to continue nursing. So, that's what we did.
So, if you ever need to get a CT scan, God forbid, know that its ok so long as the contrast used is classified as an L1 or L2. See the link above for Kelly Mom for more info on the dyes used. The one that they used for me was Omnipaque. I was sure to have the RN phone radiology to double check. It's iodine based.

So anyhow, after all of that, everything came up ok. I have no idea what is going on with me. Maybe its all just a side effect of the spinal anesthesia or something. The doctor told me to just continue taking my prescribed meds because the pain in my chest could be from an inflamed chest wall, and the ibuprofen will take that inflammation down.

I don't even want to see the bills from this visit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment